Carbon Monoxide Awareness

CMCarbon monoxide, also know as CO, is called the “invisible killer” because it is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. Carbon monoxide poisoning can result from faulty furnaces or other heating appliances, portable generators, water heaters, clothes dryers, or cars left running in garages. At its worst, carbon monoxide can cause severe side effects or even death.

Young children are especially vulnerable to the effects of carbon monoxide differently than adults and may show signs of poisoning sooner.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide include:

  • Headaches
  • Fatigue
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness
  • Shortness of Breath
  • Loss of Consciousness

CO alarms should be installed outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home. It is best to use interconnected alarms; when one sounds, all CO alarms in the home sound.

Make sure to test CO alarms when you test your smoke alarms.

If the CO alarm sounds, you must get fresh air immediately! Move everyone outside of the building outdoors. Once outside call 911.

CM2

rss2 buttons 13

Blog Archives